Plasti-Shield® Boron Filled Polyethylene Shielding is a lightweight, cost-effective neutron shielding solution
Plasti-Shield® Boron Filled Polyethylene Neutron Shielding, supplied by MarShield, is a lightweight, cost-effective neutron shielding solution to attenuate and absorb neutron radiation. Our borated polyethylene contains 5% (2% available on special order) boron content by weight. Used in the medical, nuclear, and industrial marketplaces borated polyethylene is ideal for medical vaults and doors, particle accelerators, hot cells, nuclear storage and transport containers, and nuclear detection systems.
Most radioactive fields consist of different types of radiation. The most common include fast neutron, thermal neutron, primary gamma rays and secondary gamma rays. Plasti-Shield® is a borated polyethylene designed to attenuate these types of radiations.
- Fast Neutrons are most effectively shielded by hydrogen. Plasti-Shield® has an inherently high concentration of hydrogen, over 13% of volume.
- Thermal Neutrons are shielded by polyethylene with the presence of boron, such as Plasti-Shield® Industrial Grade with 5% boron by weight.
- Secondary Gamma Rays are created by the capture of thermal neutrons by hydrogen. These captured gamma rays can be minimized by adding boron, resulting in a significantly reduced energy dosage of only .42 MeV.
For easy installation, MarShield’s borated polyethylene comes in a standard sheet size of 48” x 96” x 1” thick. You can easily cut this polymer material using standard woodworking tools.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
- Available in 5% (or 2%) boron content
- Standard sheet size of 48" x 96" x 1" thick (160lbs)
- Durable over a wide temperature range
- Consistent density and homogeneity
- Rated to MIL-P-23536A and EB2562E specifications
- Used as medical and industrial neutron shielding for more than 25 years.
- Light-weight, cost-effective and easily fabricated
- High cross-section for consistent neutron attenuation.
- Specific Gravity is 0.92.
- Airport Security and Sea Port Security
- Medical Vaults
- Nuclear Reactors
- Nuclear Storage
- Nuclear-Powered Vessels & Vehicles
- Research Applications
- Linear Particle Accelerators
- Transport Containers
Borated Polyethylene Information Sheet