Plasti-Shield® Boron Filled Polyethylene Shielding is a lightweight, cost-effective neutron shielding solution
Plasti-Shield® Boron Filled Polyethylene Neutron Shielding, supplied by MarShield, is a lightweight, cost-effective neutron shielding solution to attenuate and absorb neutron radiation. Our borated polyethylene contains 5% (2% available on special order) boron content by weight. Used in the medical, nuclear, and industrial marketplaces borated polyethylene is ideal for medical vaults and doors, particle accelerators, hot cells, nuclear storage and transport containers, and nuclear detection systems.
Most radioactive fields consist of different types of radiation. The most common include fast neutron, thermal neutron, primary gamma rays and secondary gamma rays. Plasti-Shield® is a borated polyethylene designed to attenuate these types of radiations.
- Fast Neutrons are most effectively shielded by hydrogen. Plasti-Shield® has an inherently high concentration of hydrogen, over 13% of volume.
- Thermal Neutrons are shielded by polyethylene with the presence of boron, such as Plasti-Shield® Industrial Grade with 5% boron by weight.
- Primary Gamma Rays are best shielded with lead or other high-density materials. It is common to combine a lead lining with Plasti-Shield® in applications requiring attenuation of primary gamma rays.
- Secondary Gamma Rays are created by the capture of thermal neutrons by hydrogen. These captured gamma rays can be minimized by adding boron, resulting in a significantly reduced energy dosage of only .42 MeV.
For easy installation, MarShield’s borated polyethylene comes in a standard sheet size of 48” x 96” x 1” thick. You can easily cut this polymer material using standard woodworking tools.
- Available in 5% (or 2%) boron content (by weight)
- Standard sheet size of 48” x 96” x 1” thick (160lbs)
- Durable over a wide temperature range
- Easy to install and fabricate
- Consistent density and homogeneity
- Rated to MIL-P-23536A and EB2562E specifications